According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), over 17.7 million cosmetic surgery procedures were conducted in 2018. This number has jumped by nearly 250,000 since 2017. Of this figure, there has been a big shift towards minimally-invasive surgical procedures.
Breast augmentation and liposuction procedures continued to take the reins whereas rhinoplasties and eye lid surgeries dropped by nearly 2 percent. The number of people who opted for tummy tucks remained relatively the same.
Top 5 most Popular Plastic Surgeries
- Breast Augmentation- In 2018, 313,735 breast enhancement surgeries were performed in the United States. In this procedure, a pair of breast implants is inserted into the patient’s chest. Sometimes fat is transplanted through an injection from another area of the person’s body.
- Liposuction- There were 258,558 liposuction procedures performed last year. This medical procedure may be performed either under local or general anesthesia. Also called lipoplasty, a cannula is inserted in the problem area underneath the skin. A high pressure vacuum pressure is applied which breaks up and pull up the fat from the person’s body.
- Rhinoplasty- According to the ASPS, 213,924 rhinoplasties or nose jobs were performed. This surgery might be for reconstructive or corrective purposes. Some people opt for rhinoplasty to correct a birth defect or a deviated septum, change the angle of the nose, etc. Ever hear of a famous celebrity complain about their nose being too large? Rhinoplasty is the procedure to fix this problem. In fact, nose reshaping was the most popular nasal procedure, Angelina Jolie plastic surgery.
- Eyelid Surgery- Also called blepharoplasty, this procedure is used to minimize bagginess from the lower eye lids and to remove excess skin around the eyes. This surgery takes care of issues such as drooping eye lids and tightening skin. With eye lid surgery, other procedures may also be performed such as forehead lifts, laser resurfacing and filler injections. There were 206,529 blepharoplasty surgeries performed last year.
- Abdominoplasty- Known popularly as a tummy tuck, abdominoplasty is ideal for women and men who were once significantly overweight and have lost the weight but still have excessive fat and skin around the abdomen. For these individuals, diet and exercise won’t give them a flat abdomen. Women who have had multiple pregnancies are also good candidates. In a tummy tuck, excess and fat are removed to flatten the abdomen. The muscles are also tightened along the abdominal wall. Last year, 130,081 tummy tucks procedures were performed.